Fleischner Society for Thoracic Imaging and Diagnosis
The Fleischner Society is an international, multidisciplinary medical society for thoracic radiology, dedicated to the diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the chest. Founded in 1969 by eight radiologists whose predominant professional interests were imaging of chest diseases, the Society was named in memory of Felix Fleischner, an inspiring educator, clinician, and researcher who made many contributions to the field of chest radiology. The Society has an active membership of approximately 70 members as well as approximately 40 senior members who have retired from active medical practice or work in medical science after years of active membership in the Society.
The Fleischner Society maintains a diverse membership that includes experts in adult and pediatric radiology, pathology, adult and pediatric pulmonary medicine, thoracic surgery, physiology, morphology, epidemiology and other related sciences. The diverse membership supports a primary role of the Society, which is the publication of Fleischner position papers, which represent consensus documents that focus on controversial topics.
Recent Fleischner position papers include:
- CT staging and monitoring of fibrotic interstitial lung diseases in clinical practice and treatment trials: a Position Paper from the Fleischner Society. Hansell DM, Goldin JG, King TE Jr, Lynch DA, Richeldi L, Wells AU. Lancet Respir Med. 2015 May 11. pii: S2213-2600(15)00096-X. doi: 10.1016/S2213-2600(15)00096-X. [Epub ahead of print]
- CT-Definable Subtypes of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease: A Statement of the FleischnerSociety. Lynch DA, Austin JH, Hogg JC, Grenier PA, Kauczor HU, Bankier AA, Barr RG, Colby TV, Galvin JR, Gevenois PA, Coxson HO, Hoffman EA, Newell JD Jr, Pistolesi M, Silverman EK, Crapo JD. Radiology. 2015 May 11:141579. [Epub ahead of print]
- Recommendations for the management of subsolid pulmonary nodules detected at CT: A Statement from the Fleischner Society. Naidich DP, Bankier AA, MacMahon H, Schaefer-Prokop CM, Pistolesi M, Goo JM, Macchiarini P, Crapo JD, Herold CJ, Austin JH, Travis WD. 2013 Jan;266(1):304-17.
- FleischnerSociety: glossary of terms for thoracic imaging. Hansell DM, Bankier AA, MacMahon H, McLoud TC, Müller NL, Remy J. Radiology. 2008 Mar;246(3):697-722. doi: 10.1148/radiol.2462070712. Epub 2008 Jan 14.
- Management of suspected acute pulmonary embolism in the era of CT angiography: a statement from the Fleischner Society.Remy-Jardin M, Pistolesi M, Goodman LR, Gefter WB, Gottschalk A, Mayo JR, Sostman HD. 2007 Nov;245(2):315-29. Epub 2007 Sep 11.
- Guidelines for management of small pulmonary nodules detected on CT scans: A statement from the Fleischner Society.MacMahon H, Austin JH, Gamsu G, Herold CJ, Jett JR, Naidich DP, Patz EF Jr, Swensen SJ;Fleischner Society. 2005 Nov;237(2):395-400.
- A brief history of the Fleischner Society. Janower M. JThorac Imaging. 2010 Feb;25(1):27-8.
The Fleischner Society meets annually for scientific sessions where the latest advances in chest disease diagnosis and treatment are presented and discussed. While the preparation of Fleischner position papers is a year-round activity, the annual meeting serves as an important touch point for discussion and consensus around the topics.
The Society is governed by an Executive Committee, composed of the President, the President-Elect, the Secretary, the Treasurer, the Chair of the Academic Development Committee and the Immediate Past President. In 2015-2016, the President of the Society is William D. Travis, MD of Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York, NY.
The Society is managed through the American College of Radiology in Reston, Virginia, U.S.A.
The Fleischner Society 2015 members-only annual meeting was held June 1-2, 2015 in Sitges, Spain.
Fleischner Society 2016 Annual Meeting (members only)
June 11 – 12, New York, NY